Sunday, May 15, 2011

First Time: Bukit Bendera aka Penang Hill

great view from the top where we can see the Penang Bridge
One of the main attractions in Penang Island is the Penang Hill or also known as Bukit Bendera by locals. It definitely a must-go place if you are in Penang. The trip to Penang wouldn't be complete without a visit to this great place of relaxation and serenity.

Penang Hill is the highest peak in the island with 833m from the sea level. The temperature of the peak ranges from 20 to 27 Celcius and average of 21 Celcius. The coolest period is between June and October. Due to its special climate providing cooler environment to the Penangites, Penang Hill has become one of the most developed highland in Malaysia. Initially, it's development was started by Sir Francis Light who found the location during his horse riding trip in 1887. In 1906, the british spent about 1.5 million dollar straits to build a funicular railway to go to the peak. The construction finished in 1923 and from that time, the development of the hill grew rapidly. Nowadays, there are lots of facilities available there such as mosque, Indian temple, hotel, warung/stalls, high class restaurant with British style garden, bird park, canopy walk, post office, police station and many more. Recently, the government decided to change the funicular train and reconstruct the track with current and better technology. The project took about 2 years to finish and the new train is open to public starting last April.

one of the most developed highland in Malaysia
I went back to Perak last week and I got a chance to go to Penang. Since I neven been to Penang Hill before, I asked my beloved lady to accompany me to go there. So, last Saturday, off we went to Penang Hill together with Athirah, my gf's little sister pretty early in the morning. Since it's weekend, we expected there would be lots of people there. Once we arrived there, we could see lots of cars were parked at the lower station area of the train. I managed to find an empty car park but it's pretty far from the station, so we have to walk and exercise a little bit.

British style garden restaurant
The ticket is pretty cheap, I should say. I expected the ticket would cost around RM 15 or more, but then actually the return trip ticket is only RM 8 for adult and RM 4 for student, kid and senior citizens. However, foreign ers need to pay more, RM 30 for the return trip. It was my first visit to the hill, I was very excited  and happy, Furthermore, I was accompanied by the one that I love very much. We actually have been to most of all the attractions in Penang except for the Penang Hill. We came here couple times but the timings were bad, where the railway was closed to public due to construction.

lower station of the railway
behold the new train equipped with air conditioner 
the track to the highest peak of Penang Island
at the only area with double track
old train coach that was replaced
going through a tunnel before arriving at the upper station

mosque of Bukit Bendera
With the brand new train, I think Penang Hill definitely could attract more tourists and help to generate more revenue for the local tourism business operator specially in the area and Penang generally. Me myself would come again for sure cz for me, I found Penang Hill is such a beautiful and amazing place for relaxation in quest for peacefulness from the hustle and bustle of the busy town. I really enjoyed my outing to Bukit Bendera/Penang Hill with my dearest and Athirah, it's such a great opportunity for me to be closer to the nature and the one that I dear and care so much.
the return trip ticket to the top of the hill
awesome scenery, we can see whole Georgetown from the top
what a lovely place to spend time together..:)
off we go down the hill

No comments:

Post a Comment