Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Alkali Metals: Group 1 Periodic Table


Periodic table?What the heck is that? I first learned about this systematic arrangement of Earth's elements back in 2003 when I was in F4 at my secondary school. I was pretty amazed with it, never really thought about it and I was eager to learn more. In uni, I got the opportunity to explore more about this scientist's innovation. Unfortunately, after few years, I can't really remember much about it. I should be disappointed with myself.

Recently, I started working as a part time tuition teacher teaching chemistry for F4 and F5. Now, I have the chance to review back about this, whether i like or not, I have too, otherwise I would standing in front of the students rambling instead of teaching the syllabus. Among the groups in periodic table that really fascinate me is Group 1, which is also known as alkali metals group consisting of Lithium (Li), Sodium (Na), Potassium (K), Rubidium (Rb), Caesium (Cs) and Francium (Fr). These group of metals are very reactive and as we go down the group, the reactivity increases. This is due to the distance of electron valence of the elements become farther away from the nucleus causing the effective nuclear charge on the electron valence to be weaker. Because of this, it is easier for the elements down the group to release the electron valence to form stable electron configuration.

This can be seen by experiment that is shown in the above video. This actually the best part of it. Experiment what make science really fun thing to learn. When lithium is thrown to the water, it moves around the surface of the water and produces 'hiss' sound. Then, when sodium is placed on the water surface, it moves faster and melts and spreads around the water surface. "Hiss" sound also can be heard. On the other hand, for case of potassium, the movement of the element on the water surface is very rapid with 'hiss' and 'pop' sound and it burns with lilac flame. Here we can see the trend how reactivity changes as we move from the top to bottom of the group.

Above video shows the reaction of water with alkali metals until the fifth element of the group. Ever wondered what will happen when we mix water with francium, the most reactive alkali metal element in the Earth? Check out below video and you decide whether it's true or fake.c",)

No comments:

Post a Comment