Friday, April 1, 2011

Rambles


One of the most nerve-wrecking things for me is giving a presentation especially in front of those superiors with expensive set of clothing, heavy chronograph watch and a pair of genuine leather shoes. I don’t know why; I just simply don’t feel good standing in front of them. It’s like I don’t get the respect that I wanted from them. I feel that they pretty much look down on me. Plus with my bad English speaking ability, it worsens the situation. It has happened couple times already.
Something need to be done, otherwise I’m not going anywhere. Whether I like it or not, giving presentation to the superiors would be one of the regular things for low-level employee like me. So, I need some kind of plan to improve it. I’m trying but there’s not much improvement. I guess I’m pretty much still at the same level like before.
Feral pigeon looking for a food, captured at Stanley Park, Vancouver.
I do realize that I have to put away the nervous feeling while presenting. However, it isn’t as simple as ABC. I still remember, in my final year at UofA, I have to take a course where I just need to give two presentations to pass it. For my presentation preparations, I made the slides as early as I can so that I can rehearse my presentations a lot of times. I even made script for each slide, what I should say from the beginning till the end of the presentation and I memorized every single words of the script. Sounds pathetic, doesn’t it? Honestly, it did help me a bit. At the end, I should be grateful, at least I passed the course and it definitely gave me some kind of valuable experience presenting technical researches.
My latest presentation at my workplace went ok, I would say. It’s better than the previous one. I received pretty similar comments from the manager whom I honestly really hate since my first day at work and caused me to just simply ignore his comments. He always thinks he’s such a funny guy. I don’t get at all what kind of shits he talks about. He probably think he makes really good jokes, but not for me and for other as well, I hope. Maybe because he’s the manager, that’s why some people laugh with him although things that come out from his mouth are not funny, like at all. Lucky me, I will never see his face ever again next month.
Whatever happens to that guy, I still have to improve my presentation skill. As time goes on, I’ll make sure there’s improvement. Little by little, at the end, I hope I can master it. I wish someday, I could stand in front of the audience, with a good body gesture and eye contact and make them enjoy listening to my presentation/talk/ speech. God’s willing.

2 comments:

  1. salam sulaiman.
    aku rasa best dah presentation skill ang kat westport, cerita pasal dream snowboarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wasalam, thx bro, appreciate that..honestly, there is always room for improvement..not hoping to be perfect, just wanna make sure there's owez improvements as time goes on..

    ReplyDelete